Fire Academy Certificate ProgramMCC - Blue River, Public Safety Institute Contacts: Rusty Sullivan, 816.604.6700 Blue River PSI, 816.604.6700
To complete the application you will need your MCC Student ID Number and password. If you have difficulties with your application please call 816-604-6700. Please remember to use Chrome or Fire Fox.
Required Before Applying to the Fire Academy
- To apply to the Fire Academy you must complete the following pre-requisites. Both
must be completed before applying to the program.
- Be a current MCC student.
- Go to www.mcckc.edu to apply
- Complete the English Requirement which is based on PLACEMENT TEST scores, you must
place into the following MCC classes or successfully complete the required prerequisite
courses prior to beginning the program:
- Reading – READ 100 or higher
- English – ENGL 101
- If taken at another university, upload an unofficial transcript and request an official to be sent to the college.
If requirements have been met.
- Meet with the Public Safety Institute.
- The Public Safety Institute is located on the Blue River Campus in the Public Safety building. Our hours are Monday through Thursday 8:00am to 4:00pm. The Public Safety Academic Advisor, is available on Monday’s and Wednesday’s from 8:00am - 4:30pm
After completion of the Application
- After you complete the application, you will be contacted to schedule an interview with the Chief of Training for the Fire Academy (please dress in appropriate interview attire).
Fire Academy Requirements
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalency
- Possess a valid U.S. driver license
- Must complete placement test unless a college-level English course has been satisfactorily
completed. Students must place into the following areas or successfully complete the
required prerequisite courses prior to beginning the program:
- Reading - READ 100 or higher
- English - ENGL 101
- Any writing or reading deficiency must be remediated prior to Academy enrollment.
NOTE: You must be 21 years of age to apply at some departments.
MCC-Blue River Public Safety Institute offers Fire Academy training that is recognized by the Missouri Department of Public Safety-Division of Fire Safety, which is accredited by the International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC). Being affiliated with IFSAC offers our recruits employment eligibility across the United States since most of the states are IFSAC associated and reciprocally accept the firefighter training our graduates have accomplished. Academy/Certificate students have the option to continue the Associate Degree in Fire Science which is a Fire and Emergency Services Higher Education (FESHE) approved program.
Our Academy instructors are experienced firefighters who currently service or have served in Kansas City metropolitan area fire departments. This assures that our recruits receive effective, real-world training, which not only addresses current demands, but also remains visionary in planning optimal training for future needs in public safety areas.